Monday, April 17, 2006

Hollandaze

Day 6 was all about Hollandaise. Last week we worked with a partner on a couple of days. Mine was nice enough, but didn't really like to share the spoon or stovetop. I didn’t feel like I was getting enough hands on experience, so I was looking forward to a new partner this week. Today turned out well. While I am very serious about getting everything out of class, I also like to have fun. Luckily, my new partner does too.

Hollandaise and five of its derivatives that we made today are extremely labor intensive. It’s basically a mixture of egg yolks and clarified butter that has to be continuously whisked to create an emulsion. In our thirty minutes of whisking, we managed to light a towel on fire and catch an uncontrollable case of the giggles. Our scores weren’t perfect, but a day of making extremely difficult sauces was lightened by laughter.

Tomorrow we start making soups. After days of stocks and sauces, we are all looking forward to making dishes that people actually eat.

1 comment:

Toni said...

I'll definitely keep checking in on your blog :)