Monday, June 12, 2006

Chicken Powder

Determined to concoct a delicious vegetarian birthday meal for my friend T and her new beau, I modified this meaty recipe with the following ingredients:

Shrimp instead of Sirloin
Shrimp Ramen noodles instead of Beef Ramen noodles

I had 2 hours to whip up dinner between work and school, so I had to opt for something quick and easy. I thought I had met those requirements with this dish, but alas, I had gone horribly awry.

Thanks to T’s prompting, I checked out the ingredients of the Shrimp Ramen noodles. Among wheat, flour and salt is a glaring carnivorous ingredient – chicken powder. Vegetarians, run for cover!!

T saved me from complete and utter mortification by saying, “I ate a bit of pork at Christmas. Keep cooking and we’ll never speak of this again.”

4 comments:

tony.unwin said...

My wife has a wheat intolerance, so we are always checking the contents, and its amzing what appears in some of the packs... its good you have an understading friend... i hope you all enjoyed the meal..

:o)
T

Anonymous said...

T'was delicious (even though we're not speaking of it).

Thanks again for the birthday yummies!!!

~t.

Anonymous said...

lIKE, NUTS, sOME PEOPLE CAN BE VIOLENTLY ALLERGIC TO cHICKEN pOWDER. tRY A sQUEEZE OF lEMON, VEGGI SOUP BASE, CHINESE VINEGAR, OR HOT PEPPER SPICES INSTEAD, WHEN TEMPTED TO COOK WITH msg OR cHICKEN pOWDER.

gerry said...

Um... last time I checked, Shrimps are meat - they are the flesh of a shrimp. Your friend is a pescatarian - not vegetarian.