Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wine, Wine and More Wine

One of the classes that I will be finishing up in approximately two days is Wine. We’ve spent the better part of the last six weeks learning how wine is made, what wine goes with what food and what characteristics we should expect in various types of wine. The majority of the class consisted of classroom lecture. However, four days of the days were tasting days!




Tasting Day 1 – White Wine
Tasting Day 2 – Red Wine
Tasting Day 3 – Sparkling Wine
Tasting Day 4 – Dessert Wine





The kids under 21 are only allowed to taste the wine if they brought along a parent chaperone. Since the rest of the over age students (me included) were left without a wine tasting companion, our teacher graciously allowed us to invite a guest.

I braved white wine and sparkling wine days by myself. Each day we tasted an ounce of six different wines. Funny enough, my friend that sits to the left of me hated the sparkling wine, so I got a little extra on that day!

Regardless, I took my dad to red wine tasting day. He’s not a drinker, but has recently pursued the red wine market. He learned a lot, enjoyed the wine and probably had the most fun observing the wild frat-like antics of the students that make up my class.

My mom accompanied me on dessert wine night. She’s not a drinker either, and I’m pretty sure that my dad teased her to “not to get sloshed” in class.

My shining moment came when my mom introduced herself to Teacher. Teacher said, “Oh, you’re her mother. You’ve done such a good job with her.”

Gush, gush, gush. It’s never too late to make your parents proud.

No comments: